Host German CBYX Participants in the United States
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for Young Professionals is a reciprocal fellowship program that gives 75 German participants the opportunity to spend one year studying, working, and experiencing everyday life in communities across the United States.
After arriving in the United States each August, CBYX participants enroll in career-oriented classes at a local college to gain a more comprehensive view of the American educational system, as well as to further their knowledge of their professional focus area.
Career fields represented on the program are extremely diverse, ranging from small business and banking to many technical and vocational fields, such as agriculture, carpentry, and culinary arts.
CBYX depends largely on the generosity and hospitality of hundreds of communities that have opened their doors to young Germans throughout the program’s 30-plus year history as host families, host colleges, and host companies.
In turn, these communities have been enriched by their involvement in a variety of ways.
Families gain cultural insights and lasting friendships.
- Arrive in August
- Study at a community college for fall semester
- Work for six months at an American company
- Travel in July
- buy a car
- pay for personal expenses, such as cell phones, car insurance, etc.
Host families must:
- provide a private bedroom
- provide the equivalent of two meals per day
- Will receive a monthly stipend
Colleges diversify their campus.
- German CBYX participants are excellent cultural ambassadors, and help promote interest in opportunities abroad to American students at their host colleges.
- All German participants hold a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa under the International Visitor category, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State
View a list of recent colleges and university hosts
- Austin Community College
- Black Hills State University
- Bluefield State College
- Carlow University
- Cascadia College
- Central Piedmont Community College
- Chattahoochee Technical College
- Clover Park Technical College
- College of DuPage
- College of Southern Idaho
- Davidson County Community College
- Delaware Valley University
- Dickinson State University
- Dyersburg State Community College
- Fayetteville State University
- Flathead Valley Community College
- Fox Valley Technical College
- Gateway Technical College
- Harold Washington College
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Howard Community College
- Indian Hills Community College
- Ivy Tech Community College – Lafayette
- Johnson County Community College
- Kenai Peninsula College
- Kennesaw State University
- Lake Michigan College
- Lake Region State College
- Lincoln Trail (Illinois Eastern Community Colleges)
- Lincoln University
- Lorain County Community College
- Lurleen B Wallace Community College
- Madison Area Technical College
- McLennan Community College
- Michigan Technical Universtiy
- Middlesex Community College
- Mohawk Valley Community College
- Moraine Valley Community College
- North Iowa Area Community College
- Northcentral Technical College
- Northern Kentucky University
- Northwest College
- Olney (Illinois Eastern Community Colleges)
- Otero Junior College
- Pacific International Academy
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Pima Community College
- Portland Community College
- Riverland Community College
- Riverside Community College
- Roane State Community College
- Scottsdale Community College
- Seattle Central College
- Skagit Valley College
- Snow College
- Southeast Community College
- St. Cloud State University
- St. Louis Community College
- SUNY Broome Community College
- Tallahassee Community College
- Thiel College
- Truman College
- Tulsa Community College
- University of New Mexico
- Valdosta State University
- Valdosta State University
- Vermont Technical College
- Wabash Valley (Illinois Eastern Community Colleges)
- Webster University
- West Liberty University
- Western Iowa Tech Community College
- Whatcom Community College
- William Rainey Harper College
- Windward Community College
- Winona State University
Companies support U.S.-German ties and benefit by introducing skilled interns to their workplace.
- CBYX is a great opportunity for American companies to bring in a fresh perspective and internationalize their workplace by hosting a German intern for six months.
- Participants have completed vocational and professional training in Germany, which includes a rigorous two- to three-year apprenticeship in their professional field.
- All German participants hold a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa under the International Visitor category, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. This visa allows them to take paid positions with any company in the United States, within the framework of the program.
- Participants are in possession of all documents authorizing legal employment in the United States and have open work authorization for paid work sponsored directly by the U.S. Department of State.
- All internship positions must be paid.
- Participants have insurance provided through the program administrators at no expenses.
- 18-24 years old
- Speak English and have completed a professional apprenticeship in their career field in Germany
- Personally selected by a German Member of Parliament from a competitive applicant pool to take part in this program and serve as a cultural ambassador
- Represent a variety of backgrounds and fields across Germany