The Cultural Vistas Hong Kong Internship Program is an opportunity for American undergraduate students to gain cross-cultural professional experience through customized internships with companies and universities in Hong Kong.
Internship placements are available in fields such as: business consulting, finance, social enterprise, property management, real estate investment analysis, and accounting.
This program, arranged by Cultural Vistas and The Hong Kong-America Center, will begin with an orientation on June 7, 2019. Participants will complete their 8-week internships from June 10-August 3, 2019.
- Professional internships with a Hong Kong host organization or institution
- Work permit and visa application fee and services
- Accommodation (shared occupancy)
- Orientation and welcome dinner
- Macau Day Trip, 3 weekend field trips to Hong Kong, and several other cultural activities
- 24-hour in-country support by The Hong Kong-America Center
- Working assessment and farewell dinner
- International Health Insurance
What’s In It For You
- Exposure to Hong Kong business practices and a multi-cultural workplace
- Support for attaining credit with home institution
- Enriching cultural excursions and opportunities to explore Hong Kong and surrounding regions
- Deeper understanding of international business practices through pre- & post-trip activities
- U.S. or Chinese citizen enrolled at a U.S. university for more than 12 month at the time of application
- Undergraduate student with at least 60 completed credit hours by the start of the internship
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- $6,525 program fee and $75 application fee
Please note that we will only process payments from qualified applicants.
- February 1, 2019 – Application deadline
- March 1, 2019 – Full Payment Deadline
- April 2, 2019 – Confirmation of Placement
- April 3, 2019 – Work Permit and Visa Application Process Starts
- June 7, 2019 – Arrive in Hong Kong
- June 8, 2019 – Macau Day Trip
- June 10, 2019 – First Day of Work
- June 15, 2019 – Weekend Field Trip Organized by HKAC Staff
- June 29, 2019 – Weekend Field Trip Organized by HKAC Staff
- July 13, 2019 – Weekend Field Trip Organized by HKAC Staff
- August 1, 2019 – Working Assessment and Farewell Dinner
- August 2, 2019 – Last Day at Internship
- August 3, 2019 – Depart Hong Kong
Once we have received your complete application and $75 application fee, we will review your documents to ensure the application is complete. If the application is complete and you meet the program requirements, we will schedule a short phone or Skype interview with you to discuss the program, your expectations, and answer any questions you may have. Following a successful interview, we will send your application to our in-country partner, The Hong Kong-America Center, for a final review. You will then receive your formal acceptance to the program, and the placement process will begin.
After receiving your acceptance notification, you will have a window to confirm your participation in the program. To confirm your participation, you will be required to pay the program fee and submit your completed acceptance documents.
Once you have confirmed your participation, the internship placement process will begin. After reviewing your resume and conducting a telephone interview, we will have a solid understanding of your strengths, relevant experience, and professional interests. The Hong Kong-America Center has many years of experience coordinating youth exchanges, and have placed students with all types of companies: small startups, medium-sized companies, multinational holdings, research institutions, and nonprofit organizations. Many companies are experienced in accommodating foreign interns and have been working with these internship programs for years.
Though some placements are secured quickly, the placement process can take several months.
Program participants will meet in Hong Kong for an in-country orientation that will commence on June 7, 2019. This orientation is a great chance to meet fellow American participants and the program staff, and will include a range of activities and seminars including: orientation to Hong Kong professional culture, health and safety information, cultural activities, and more. The orientation program will include:
- Welcome Dinner
- Comprehensive informational sessions to cover program regulations, living and working in Hong Kong, cultural adjustments, health and safety, and more
- A Macau Day Trip on the first Saturday of the program
Internships will begin for all participants on June 10, 2019 and will last for 8 weeks.
All participants will be enrolled by Cultural Vistas in international health insurance. Additional information about the plan will be provided after acceptance to the program.
Included in the program fee, The Hong Kong-America Center will make arrangements for participants to live in a shared room in a student residence. Participants should recognize that a certain degree of flexibility will be necessary to adjust to Hong Kong customs and way of life, as well as to adjust to the difference of living standards that exist between the United States and Hong Kong.
Participants are responsible for the travel costs to Hong Kong and back to the U.S. While we understand that you want to experience as much as possible during your time in Hong Kong, you are expected to fulfill your internship obligations.
Visa and Work Authorization
Once your placement has been finalized, you will receive the documents required to apply for your Hong Kong visa. Cultural Vistas and The Hong Kong-America Center will assist you with the visa application process.
How to Apply
To apply for the Internship Program in Hong Kong, please request access to the online application system. Your request will be reviewed by a Cultural Vistas staff member. If you meet the program’s eligibility requirements, you will be sent a username and password to access the online application.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. Applications must be submitted at least 3 to 4 months before desired start date.
Applications for summer 2019 are due February 1, 2019 at 5pm EST.
We encourage you to submit your application materials through the online application. However, should you encounter any difficulties in uploading your application materials, please feel free to email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. As an alternative, documents can be mailed to the address indicated below.
The complete application must be received by February 4, 2019, including any letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc. that are mailed separately.
Application materials to be submitted:
- Online Application
After you have requested an application you will receive a username and password to access, complete, and submit an application. You may preview and edit your application at any time until you have clicked on the “Submit” button. To preview your application, click “Print Version.” When editing your application, please be sure to click “Save” before exiting to ensure that all data is saved. We encourage you to print a copy of your completed application before submitting it. Please note that once an application has been submitted it is considered final.
- Personal Statement (no more than one full page, 1.5 spacing, 12pt font)
In three paragraphs, please describe:
- The reason you would like to intern in Hong Kong
- The field in which you would prefer to intern
- The type of work you would like to do
- The skills and experience you have to offer a host company as an intern
- Professional Photo (example)
Your photo should be the same size and format as a passport photo, taken from the shoulder up, in front of a monochromatic background. You should wear business attire. The picture can be taken with a digital camera but should be good quality.
- Copy of the picture page of your passport
- Resume in English
- College Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation
Preferably from a professor or supervisor with knowledge of your work in your field of study.
- $75 Application Fee
You will receive an invoice once you submit an application request.
Please note: The Cultural Vistas application fee of $75 is due at the time of application; applications will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Upon acceptance into the program, you will confirm your participation by paying the full program fee.
All hard copies of materials can be mailed to:
Attn: Internships Abroad
233 Broadway, Suite 2120
New York, NY 10279