Frustrated by the pervasiveness of
#FakeNews? Join us in doing something about it.
Beginning in May 2019, the Journalism in the Era of Disinformation Fellowship will bring together up to eight German and eight American journalism students for a weeklong program in Washington, D.C. and New York to meet with news outlets, fellow journalists, and media experts to discuss the role of disinformation in political news coverage in both countries and explore possible strategies to counteract its rise.
The inaugural program in 2018 featured a diverse itinerary, including visits with:
- The Associated Press
- The New York Times
- Center for International Policy’s Foreign Influence Transparency Initiative
- Charlottesville’s The Daily Progress
- National Association for Media Literacy Education
Applications for the program’s second year year will be accepted until January 14, 2019.
- Fully-funded, 1-week intensive program to equip the American and German journalism students with the skills necessary to navigate the today’s media landscape, while maintaining the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, and fact-based reporting.
- Participating students will take part in a transatlantic workshop, including their American and German counterparts, that will explore and address possible solutions to counteract the rise in disinformation in the news media.
- Round-trip travel + accommodations included.
New York City and Washington, D.C.
May 18-24, 2019
- U.S. and German university students studying journalism or a related field focusing on political news coverage in their emerging careers; recent graduates in these fields are also eligible to apply.
- Candidates outside of major news hubs, and those with limited or no prior international experience are encouraged to apply.
January 14, 2019
The JED Fellowship is funded by the Transatlantic Program of the government of the Federal Republic of Germany through funds of the European Recovery Program (ERP) of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy (BMWi).
The inaugural @JEDfellowship group had a great week in DC, Charlottesville, and NYC.
— Cultural Vistas (@CulturalVistas) May 30, 2018